Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sail away from the safe harbor

Last week, James Cameron the director of Titanic and Avatar came on campus to talk about whether Pandora is possible. One comment which I thought was well put by Cameron was when he said that there are people who imagine things and there are people who imagine things and pursue their imaginations. This reminds me of my favorite quote: 'Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' by Mark Twain.

Explore, dream and discover provide the ultimate satisfaction to one's curiosity. And I am so lucky to be born in this modern era where I can pretty much do as I please and pursue anything I want. If I was born in say, China hundreds of years ago and as a girl....probably, make that most definitely I would have been married off somewhere, stuck in a loveless marriage and do housework or knit all day.... my gosh I'm certain I would have suffocated. Just thinking about this possibility makes me cringe - I think I would ran away from it all. But wait, if I was born into a middle class or higher family - my feet would have been bound. Alright, just googled foot binding - it's considered 'intensely erotic' (no need for adjectives but 'WTF' would not suffice). Probably erotic to men in the sense that 'Whoa, this girl is so fragile and can't walk properly and needs me, the oh so manly man to take care of her and this makes me feel so masculine.' Yes, I would have died a slow death of suffocation not to mention boredom. Thank heavens I'm here in this modern time!

Alright let me get back to the topic, here is a list of things that I want to try out or achieve

1. Gallop on a horse in the wilderness, jump over rocks and creeks
2. Help the world in anyway I can (a little out of context but very important to me)
3. Go to outer space (may not be possible but I'll see what I can do)
4. Travel the world (and yep this includes Antarctica)
5. Scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef and other wonderful places
6. Kayaking in South America
7. Go semi-pro in skiing (need to keep toe nails short!)
8. Fly around the world

The list is endless!! Life and the boundless adventures are good!! XD

2 comments:

  1. i'm not really that satisfied - prefer to be in a bit more modern era where homosexuality is accepted. in fact, people will accept that sexuality is really not fixed, and it's no one's business - PLUS science will be pretty advanced where u can get anyone's bone (?) and turn into a sperm, so i can have my real family (there's research already on it, but doubt it'll be realised when it's my time)... okie - i should really blog myself instead stealing ur space :P

    but anyways... i do like some of your things to do. i'm totally up to number 4 and 6!!!! i wanna kayaaaaaak! but omg... imagine kayaking in the amazon with anaconda haha diieeeee
    'fly around the world'??? wht the hell is that? i hate flying = =

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mean differentiating stem cells into sperm? (and they mostly extract stem cells from bone marrow). This is a good article to read http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1909164,00.html. It seems that currently they could only generate mature sperm from male not female stem cells. But you never know, it maybe possible, otherwise you can go to the sperm bank or adopt (I think blood is not as important as nurture). And bb, do not be concerned about what others think - life is already too short to have to live up to others expectations. You are not harming anyone being yourself. The flying around the world is me taking the front sit i.e. the pilot...I don't know when that would be though! I won't be learning to fly anytime soon because of money issues and it's quite sad to see the pollution in LA.

    ReplyDelete